mercoledì 1 luglio 2015

The Drina Valley: one year after the floods

Maybe you remember that last year most of northern Bosnia was flooded, with the Bosna and Drina rivers valleys hit hardest. About 1,5 million of people were affected by this disaster, 27 people died and 950.000 had to leave their homes, hardly damaged by water and mud. The total damage was more than 1 billion euro and a lot of farmlands were under water, which was a real tragedy, as people in the Bosna and Drina valleys live mostly of land. (Click here for more detailed info)
As for the Bosna valley and the towns and villages where I went short after the 2014 floods, I read that in Željezno polje (a village hardly affected by landslides) "the situation is the same" (Click here for further info).
I was told that in Doboj many shops, restaurants and pubs are still closed. Finally, they say that in Topčić Polje the situation is better (Click here for further info).
I was not there so I cannot confirm these news. I just went back to the Bijeljina area two weeks ago and I can say that I couldn't believe my eyes: thanks to the international and national aid, but thanks mostly to the hard work done by the population, everything seems quite ok, even in Velino Selo (a small village 20 km far from Bijeljina) which, in may of 2014, was declared "red zone".
What to say more? Just that I really hope the situation improves soon in Željezno polje: part of my heart's there too.

To compare the situation in the Bijeljina region look at the following pics.

Two weeks after the floods

Bijeljina alluvione Bosnia
Bijeljina alluvione Bosnia
Velino Selo alluvione Bosnia
Velino Selo alluvione Bosnia
Velino Selo alluvione Bosnia
Bijeljina alluvione Bosnia
Velino Selo alluvione Bosnia
Velino Selo alluvione Bosnia
Velino Selo alluvione Bosnia

One year after the floods

Bijeljina
Bijeljina
Velino Selo
Bijeljina
Novo Selo Bosnia
Velino Selo Bosnia
Velino Selo Bosnia
Velino Selo Bosnia
Drina Bosnia Bijeljina


Nessun commento:

Posta un commento