giovedì 23 giugno 2016

Why do agnostics go to church?

I cannot answer for everyone, but I can speak for myself. I'm agnostic (not to say atheist) but I really like visiting churches, mosques or any other place of prayer. When they're empty I can enjoy the beauty of the most absolute silence, but when the faithful participate in this or that rite I'm intrigued by their "mass performance": it seems to me quite strange and interesting that people do the same things / say the same things at the same time, in the name of God. It's strange because I ask myself: "Why are they doing that in the name of God (one, invisible, not touchable, not human) and not in the name of all human beings (many, visible, touchable, human)? Interesting because it makes me say that human beings always need something greater or/and unreachable (God, an idea, an utopia) in order to gather together.
The question is quite complex and I don't want to bore you with it, if only I'm still reflecting on this subject. So, I leave you with some pictures, which were taken in various churches in Dublin.

Christ Church Cathedral Dublin
Christ Church Cathedral Dublin
Christ Church Cathedral Dublin
St Patrick Cathedral Dublin
St Patrick Cathedral Dublin
Christ Church Cathedral Dublin
St. Joseph Church Dublin
Catholic University church Dublin
St. Joseph Church Dublin
St. Joseph Church Dublin
Christ Church Cathedral Dublin
Christ Church Cathedral Dublin
Catholic University Church Dublin

Nessun commento:

Posta un commento